Monday, October 12, 2009


Because We Know You Have Been Dying to Know This About Us...
Paige and myself are admittedly obsessed with New York Magazine's blogs. From the latest Snuggie news to Mad Men recaps to where Chace Crawford was spotted recently, we love it all. We especially love the New Yorkish questionnaire's posted that feature sorta famous or decently successful New Yorkers. As Paige and I haven't been "famous" since our high school glory days and consider our greatest success to be that we had more than $20 left over after rent was paid last month, we don't see ourselves being featured any time soon. But if we were this is what we would say.

Name: Hollyn McManus (HM) and Paige Tibbetts (PT)
Age: 24 (HM) 23 (PT)
Neighborhood: Prospect Heights
Occupation: Sales Assistant (HM) Sales Executive (PT) Bloggers. (HMPT)

Who's your favorite New Yorker, living or dead, real or fictional?
HM:Joyce Carol Oates...no...Vin Diesel
PT: Eloise, Eric Van derWoodsen, Steven Sadoff. Best of all worlds.


What's the best meal you've eaten in New York?
HM:Lobster Ravioli at Wombat in Willyburg with my family and my best friends.
PT: That rav was killer, rivaled only by sea urchin at Le Bernadin. I also really dig the porridge from the Jamaican food cart outside of the MoMA


In one sentence, what do you actually do all day in your job?
HM:Entertain my boss.
PT: Send Holly pictures of unicorns.


Would you still live here on a $35,000 salary?
PT: Umm, I'd kill for a $35k salary.
HM: Ditto

What's the last thing you saw on Broadway?
HM: West Side Story, in the "obstructed view" section.
PT: The Producers, like, 5 years ago.

Do you give money to panhandlers?
HM:Only the 14 yr old's who dance to the Black Eyed Peas on trains and basically risk their lives doing back flips on the train just to make a couple bucks.
PT: I ask them for money.


What's your drink?
HM:When I drinking in the comfort of my own home (or alone) cheap vodka and Crystal Light. If I am in public it's usually a dirty martini, straight up, no vodka preference (house).
PT: Gin and Tonic or Prosecco. But lets get real, I'll drink anything.


How often do you prepare your own meals?
HM:Does opening a can of tomato soup count as prepare?
PT: I lurve cooking. Probably like 4 nights a week. Last night the whole house smelled like a parking lot tailgate party.


What's your favorite medication?
HM:Does Thai takeout count? Or black licorice? Sour Skittles?
PT: Crystal meth or, scratch that, it's tea tree oil.


What's hanging above your sofa?
HM: Nothing. But that's a work in progress.
PT: Nothing. But its exposed brick!


How much is too much to spend on a haircut?
HM: Well if Ping Pong, the woman who last cut my hair, is doing the cutting, then you really shouldn't pair more than you do for a gourmet sandwich.
PT: That's the only extravagance I have left in my life (see salary question above) but if you're paying over $200 you're being ripped off.


When's bedtime?
HM: When Paige tells me to come hither. Or after Mad Men/Gossip Girl.
PT: When I figure out that I've already seen the Degrassi episode I'm watching on "Teen Nick".


Which do you prefer, the old Times Square or the new Times Square?
HM: I shouldn't answer this as I don't really have a clue about the old.
PT: I'm pretty sure I'd hate Times Square no matter what era.


What do you think of Donald Trump?
HM: He has twinkly eyes, like Santa Claus, or Madonna.
PT: I really try not to think about him.


What do you hate most about living in New York?
PT: Slow walkers, but that's not exclusive to New York, but they do really get my goat.
HM: That my mom, dad, and two kid sisters don't live here.


Who is your mortal enemy?
PT: Slow walkers. I'm telling you.
HM:The inventor of the five day work week.


When's the last time you drove a car?
PT: Probably two months ago. I miss it.
HM: I drove "my" car from home over Labor Day. You know it's been a while when all of my mixed CD's from high school boyfriends have been replaced by my Dad's Theolonious Monk and Steely Dan.


How has the Wall Street crash affected you?
PT: I mean, it made it kinda chic to be poor so that's a silver lining for us. But It kind of cast a dark shadow over everyone which was a bummer, but in the end I think that kind of thing brings solidarity. I'm obviously not a good person to talk to about this.
HM: It's really not that big of a deal to go out with someone who is unemployed. Going out with a guy who is unemployed is like going out with a guy who doesn't have twin beagle puppies as pets. Not a biggie.

Where do you go to be alone?
PT: Elliptical machine at Park Slope Crunch.
HM: Our half-bathroom that's in my "room" in our apartment. My room has a staircase instead of a door, so the option of shutting the door in my little bathroom is nice.


What makes someone a New Yorker?
HM: Having interpersonal intelligence, and lots of it.
PT: Knowing that if you left, you wouldn't be who you are anymore.
We encourage you to check out the responses from some slightly more successful New Yorkers:
Answer some of these yourself and let us know!

1 comment: