Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Humpday

Humpday, with an Oscar theme
To get you through the rest of the week we have so kindly and excitedly decided to give your our Oscar picks. Over the past year, we have had the pleasure of paying for one child's movie ticket and seeing 2-3 movies all on that ticket, all the while sneaking in candy and soda and bags of clementines and traditional Vietnamese sandwiches. So one would think we would sort of be experts on who should win what at the Oscars. In reality, the 2 of us combined, have seen about 4 of the movies up for anything, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (which is up for cinematography) included. You all know we like to pretend to act to squirm our way into being experts on anything, so why should the Oscars be any different?

I have so graciously included which actor/actress is up for what, but not the movies as Paige lists every single one as part of her decision making process. And the nominees are:

Performance by an actor in a leading role
Jeff Bridges in "Crazy Heart" (Fox Searchlight)
George Clooney in "Up in the Air" (Paramount in association with Cold Spring Pictures and DW Studios)
Colin Firth in "A Single Man" (The Weinstein Company)
Morgan Freeman in "Invictus" (Warner Bros.)
Jeremy Renner in "The Hurt Locker" (Summit Entertainment)
Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Matt Damon in "Invictus" (Warner Bros.)
Woody Harrelson in "The Messenger" (Oscilloscope Laboratories)
Christopher Plummer in "The Last Station" (Sony Pictures Classics)
Stanley Tucci in "The Lovely Bones" (DreamWorks in association with Film4, Distributed by Paramount)
Christoph Waltz in "Inglourious Basterds" (The Weinstein Company)
Performance by an actress in a leading role
Sandra Bullock in "The Blind Side" (Warner Bros.)
Helen Mirren in "The Last Station" (Sony Pictures Classics)
Carey Mulligan in "An Education" (Sony Pictures Classics)
Gabourey Sidibe in "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" (Lionsgate)
Meryl Streep in "Julie & Julia" (Sony Pictures Releasing)
Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Penélope Cruz in "Nine" (The Weinstein Company)
Vera Farmiga in "Up in the Air" (Paramount in association with Cold Spring Pictures and DW Studios)
Maggie Gyllenhaal in "Crazy Heart" (Fox Searchlight)
Anna Kendrick in "Up in the Air" (Paramount in association with Cold Spring Pictures and DW Studios)
Mo'Nique in "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" (Lionsgate)

Holly's picks:

Best Picture:
I would like to pick Avatar, because something in there tells me that's what I need to pick to win this thing. But something in my heart, the same thing that told me not to ever see Avatar, is telling me that it's not in the bag in for James Cameron. My boyfriend didn't like The Hurt Locker so I'm not picking it for him. I saw Inglorious Bastards and really liked it but really didn't like Diane Krugers acting job. She tried too hard, you could tell she was physically hungry for some red meat or something the whole time. So, although I haven't seen it yet, I pick Up in the Air, for various reasons, mostly because George Clooney seems immortal.
Best Actress:
Gabourey Sibide. I feel her winning this would bring back "You Go Girl!" and therefore make me cool again.
Best Supporting Actress :
I pick Penelope Cruz, not because I have seen Nine...yet. I pick her because, let's face it, she really deserves the most screen time because she is dead sexy. Also I have already heard one of Monique's speeches and do not want to hear another. Ever. I would rather hear a lifetime smoker sing "Row Row Row Your Boat" nine times than hear the exasperation that is Monique. Moving on...

Best Actor:
I pick Colin Firth because I love Bridget Jones. Not the movie so much but the book. All of the books to be specific, even "Bridget Jone's Guide to Life" because that book taught me to play "Marry, Shag, or Push off a Cliff" when I was in the bloody 7th grade and hadn't even started snogging yet.

Best Supporting Actor :
I pick Christopher Waltz from Inglorious Bastards because I actually saw that one. And he does a really REALLY good job eating what I think was an apple tart or something. He was eating the tart with anger even though the tart was I'm sure delicious.

Paige's Picks:

Best Picture:

I really hope it's not Avatar, I didn't see Avatar because I'm never really interested in things that can't actually happen. But mainly, I don't want it to win because when James Cameron won best picture for Titantic he screamed "I'm king of the world", and seriously, if he pulls shit like that again he will single handedly ruin my Oscars. I didn't see "Up", because cartoons hurt my eyes. I didn't see "Nine" because Kate Hudson sings in it and I can pretty much die happy if I never have to hear something like that. I didn't see "An Education" because I heard that Peter Saarsgard plays a child molester and I think he's so hot, it would really upset me. I fell asleep in District 9, I don't have the stomach for Precious, Inglorious Bastards was awesome but I don't think it has the chops to win, The Blind Side was too cheesy, A Serious Man didn't get enough hype and I didn't see Up In The Air (because I saw Dear John instead.. bad move). My vote is for The Hurt Locker, because it was really awesome (Holly's boyfriend is WAY wrong) and I would LOVE to see a woman director win this, and if that woman is James Camerons hot ex-wife, all the better.

This could never happen. Blue creatures could never have teeth this straigt.
Best Actress:

I'd like Gabourey Sibide to win because I think shes a total doll, even if it meant I had to hear holly say "You go Girl" on a regular basis. But i just don't think she will. My guess is Meryl Streep, not because I saw "Julie and Julia" (like I was going to spend two hours staring at Amy Adams hair in that movie... please!) but because I love her and her Julia Childs accent.

Best Supporting Actress:
I'm with Holly on not wanting Mo, shes won so much so far and I'm just sick of her, plus I saw a picture of her unshaven legs and totally dry heaved and couldn't finish my Udon Noodle lunch, jerk, Shave your legs!!! My vote goes to Maggie Gyllenhaal because she is a fellow Brooklynite and I think if she wins maybe her brother, Jake will come over to her house in Park Slope and celebrate and maybe he'll want to check out some local bars... and Mayyybe I'll run into him at Union Hall playing boccie and day drinking... and MAYBE we'll live happily ever after, finally!
this is Maggie strolling through Brooklyn, OBVIOUSLY

Best Actor:
I didn't see Crazy Heart, but everyone said Jeff Bridges played the "roll of a lifetime", which means it must have been awesome because I've SEEN The Big Lebowski. But Mickey Rourke didn't win his "roll of a lifetime" last year so Bridges isn't getting my vote on this one. I'm gonna go for the dark horse, Jeremy Renner from The Hurt Locker because he was incredible and even made that bomb-diffusing outfit look sexy.

Best Supporting Actor:
I'd really like to hear what Woody Harrelson would say in an acceptance speech, but I really wish he was nom'ed for Zombie Land because that movie was great. But I'm going to agree with Holly on this one and go with Chris Waltz (I just call him Chris) because when he gave his acceptance speech at the Globes he was so totally adorable and not Nazi-ish at all.

This is our favorite Oscar, OBVIOUSLY

No comments:

Post a Comment